News and Notes
Posts for category: Skin Treatments and Care
Are you tired of looking tired? Here at Delaware Valley Dermatology Group in Wilmington, DE, dermal fillers and BOTOX injectables smooth fine lines and wrinkles, giving patients a refreshed look. Comfortable and long-lasting, these treatments are well-worth exploration with your dermatologist, Dr. Michael Saruk.
What is BOTOX?
BOTOX injectables are finely purified forms of the botulism toxin (yes, the cause of food poisoning). FDA-approved for limiting the muscular contractions which cause skin wrinkles, BOTOX Cosmetic is a wonderful alternative to more invasive and costly cosmetic procedures.
Injected under the skin with an ultra-fine hypodermic needle, BOTOX restricts the action of certain facial muscles. Together with sun exposure, smoking, and general aging, this muscular movement causes dynamic wrinkles each time your smile or frown. The lines typically form around the mouth, between the eyebrows, across the chin/forehead, and at the outer corners of the eyes.
To qualify for BOTOX, you'll undergo a skin exam and informative consultation with Dr. Saruk. With a good medical history and realistic aesthetic goals, you can have your first treatment right away.
Afterward, you'll leave the office to resume your usual activities. Although there is no appreciable downtime after BOTOX treatment, you will notice smoothing results right away. Optimal effects are reached within a few days and last for months, as well.
What are dermal fillers?
At Delaware Valley Dermatology Group in Wilmington, DE, the professional team also offers youth-inspiring dermal fillers. Products such as Restylane and Juvederm are injectable preparations of hyaluronic acid, a naturally-occurring skin component which plumps and smooths skin, improving problems such as:
- Skin sagging
- Fine lines and deep wrinkles on the lips and middle of the face
- Acne scarring
These fine products are FDA-approved for injection into healthy adults over the age of 21. Aesthetic effects are long-lasting and the treatments, comfortable and quick. You'll go back to your day looking and feeling great.
Are you ready to look your best?
Contact Delaware Valley Dermatology Group in Wilmington, DE, for an informative appointment on BOTOX and dermal fillers. Our medical and aesthetic dermatologist, Dr. Michael Saruk, will present all of your options, and we're sure you'll love your wrinkle-free outcome. Call us at (302) 478-8532.
It doesn’t matter how good your skincare products are, if they’re not the right ones for your type of skin or you’re not using them properly, then you won’t see any benefit. That’s why developing a good skincare routine is crucial. Dr. Michael Saruk of the Delaware Valley Dermatology Group LLC is a board-certified dermatologist based in Wilmington, DL. He knows the importance of developing a good skincare routine, and he can help you create one too.
Tips on the Best Skincare Routine
The most important thing about using a skincare routine is getting things in the right order. This is what will ensure that you make the most of your skincare products and will leave your face looking healthy and glowing.
- Cleanse your face: You should do this at the beginning of the day and in the evening before you go to bed. If you wear makeup, remove that first. Use a mild cleanser to suit your skin type. Make sure you rub the cleanser all over your face and rinse well with warm water. Pat your face dry with a soft towel. You can use an exfoliating cleanser once or twice per week, depending on your skin type.
- Use a toner: If you use a toner, apply it after cleansing. A few drops on a sponge or cotton pad is enough to tone your whole face.
- Add serum: If you use a serum to promote anti-aging and reduce the signs of wrinkles, it should be applied in the morning after you have toned your skin. An antioxidant serum will help to protect your skin from free radicals. If you use a hydrating serum, the best time to apply it is at night.
- Apply acne treatment: If you are using an acne treatment, the best time to apply it is during your evening skincare routine. This will allow your body to make the most of it while it is in repair mode overnight.
- Apply moisturizer: As well as rehydrating your skin, moisturizer also locks in the other protective layers you have added. In the morning, use a lightweight moisturizer. At night you can use a heavier cream.
- Apply sunscreen: If your moisturizer does not have sunscreen factored in, you should add one that has an SPF of at least 15. Remember, this is the most important part of your skincare routine.
Our Wilmington Office Can Help
If you need advice about your skincare routine, call Dr. Saruk at (302) 478-8532. You can also find out more about other dermatology services in Wilmington, DL.
How your dermatologist in Wilmington, Delaware can help you look your best
You have probably heard a lot about dermal fillers. You may even know someone who has had dermal filler treatment. Now, you may be wondering if you are a good candidate for them. What can dermal fillers do for you? The truth is they can help you look younger by smoothing out the early signs of aging, ie fine lines and wrinkles. Dr. Michael Saruk at Delaware Valley Dermatology Group in Wilmington, Delaware offers dermal fillers and many other services to help you look your best.
Why Dermal Fillers?
You are an excellent candidate for dermal fillers if you both have fine lines and wrinkles and want to look younger. As you age, your skin loses moisture and elasticity, meaning when you show facial expressions like laughing or frowning, your skin won’t “snap back” as it did when you were younger. That’s how fine lines and wrinkles form. You may find them:
- At the corners of your eyes, where they are known as crow’s feet
- Running across your forehead, where they are known as furrows
- Between your eyebrows, where they are known as glabella
- At the corners of your mouth, where they are known as marionette lines
Dermal fillers work by plumping your skin, essentially filling in the fine lines and wrinkles in the process. During treatment, the liquid filler material is injected into your skin. The number of injections will vary depending on the area treated and your individual characteristics. Your skin will appear dramatically smoother after treatment.
Dermal filler treatment is very popular because it is:
- Quick, taking only a few minutes
- Long-lasting, with results that remain for 6 to 18 months
- Inexpensive, often costing less than other cosmetic services
If you want to look your best and take years off of your face, you are a good candidate for dermal fillers. If you want smooth, younger-looking skin, you are a good candidate for dermal fillers. The truth is just about everyone who wants to look their best is a good candidate for dermal fillers! To learn more about dermal fillers and other aesthetic and medical dermatology services, call (302) 478-8532 for Dr. Michael Saruk of Delaware Valley Dermatology Group in Wilmington today!
What your dermatologist in Wilmington wants you to know
Your skin can either help you look younger, or older, depending on how well you care for it. Proper skin care is a must to keep you looking great and feeling great. Your skin is important to your appearance, but it also performs the important function of protecting your vital organs. So, how do you properly care for your skin? Dr. Michael Saruk at Delaware Valley Dermatology Group in Wilmington, DE, wants to share what it takes to keep your skin looking beautiful.
The steps you take every day provide the foundation for beautiful, healthy skin. Just remember to do this every day:
- Cleanse your skin using mild products like foaming cleansers or gels. Avoid soaps which can dry your skin.
- Pat your skin gently, leaving a small amount of moisture on the surface of your skin.
- Use alcohol-free toners to help balance the pH of your skin.
- Use a moisturizer with at least SPF 15 sunscreen every day.
If you live where the climate is hot and sunny, you need to add a few simple steps to your daily routine:
- Apply a sunscreen with at least SPF 30 when you are outside.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. This helps to keep your skin from becoming dry.
- Protect your vulnerable areas by wearing hats, glasses, and other clothing.
If you live where the climate is cold, add these additional steps to your routine:
- Use thick, alcohol-free cream or lotion moisturizer at least once each day.
- Avoid long, hot baths or showers because it can dry your skin.
You should also visit your dermatologist regularly to check for moles, abnormal tissue growths, and precancerous or cancerous lesions, especially if you have a family history of skin cancer. Your dermatologist is an expert at treating specific skin conditions including rashes, acne, rosacea, psoriasis, and other skin conditions.
Properly caring for your skin doesn’t have to be a complicated ritual, and it is well worth your time. You deserve to look your best, and it all begins with proper skin care. For more information about skin care and other dermatology services, call Dr. Saruk at Delaware Valley Dermatology Group in Wilmington, DE, today!
Dermatologists help people maintain good skin health, but at Delaware Valley Dermatology Group in Wilmington, DE, Dr. Michael Saruk and staff also help people achieve their best look! Below are a few of the cosmetic procedures that our patients use to keep their skin not only healthy but beautiful as well.
Shaving to remove unwanted body hair is time-consuming, inaccurate and temporary, not to mention all the various nicks and cuts that inevitably go along with it. With laser hair removal from your Wilmington dermatologist, the distracting hairs that grow under your arms, on your legs, on your stomach or anywhere else can be removed permanently. Using a specialized laser that targets the hair while leaving the surrounding skin untouched, we can make smooth, clear skin a reality!
Wrinkles are formed by repeated muscle movement after many years. Since the muscles around the eyes and between the forehead are constantly used when smiling, frowning, talking and squinting, deep, noticeable wrinkles can form in these areas. To combat these unwanted signs of aging, your Wilmington cosmetic dermatologist can inject Botox from a tiny, precise needle to these muscles, causing them to stop moving for a few months, allowing your skin to smooth out and leave a much more refreshed and youthful appearance behind.
Like Botox, dermal fillers are an injectable, minimally-invasive way to rejuvenate your facial features. However, fillers from your cosmetic dermatologist in Wilmington are used for different purposes in different areas of the face. When the skin ages and the fat beneath it starts to dissipate, it can leave you with unwanted contours, lines and hollow spaces. Fillers "plump" these areas up - most often the lips, lower eyelids, and lines that form between the corners of the nose and mouth - to give you a firmer and more youthful appearance.
If you'd like to learn more about these treatments or any other cosmetic or medical dermatological procedures we offer at Delaware Valley Dermatology Group, contact us in Wilmington, DE to make an appointment today!